Harriet Foster Carr

I'm very excited to let you all know of my latest project! I am currently working with the Athens County Historical Society to replicate a gown they have in their collection, for my senior capstone project. The gown belonged to a woman named Harriet (Hattie) Foster, who was born ca. 1860 in Athens, Ohio and married Albert Carr in 1888. Harriet made this gown for her April wedding using a pattern from the Godey's Lady's Book/Magazine. The gown is made of teal silk velvet, lined with an almond-beige silk dupioni.

I plan to make this gown using my White Treadle Sewing Machine and replicate it as it was made originally by Harriet (more on that later)

Here are a few pictures of the gown on display. More to come as the gown and research get underway!


Wedding Gown, 1888, Athens County HistoricalSociety
Wedding Gown, 1888, Athens County HistoricalSociety
Wedding Gown, 1888, Athens County HistoricalSociety

Photos courtesy of the Athens County Historical Society, Wedding Gown exhibit.

No comments: