Lawn Dress

It's long past due for a new post. My Red Dress is fitted, now only the sleeves need put on. The Regency Bodiced Petticoat only needs buttons. The Darth Maul Amigurumi hasn't been picked up yet. I haven't even thought about my quilt. But, I can post about an old dress I bought a while back at an antique store.

The dress is called a Lawn Dress. I have pondered the reasons why it would be called such; wearing it for garden parties (on the lawn. harhar), the fabric being called lawn, or some other crazy reason that no one would ever have thought of? Well, I've never really found a good explanation, and don't know enough about  fabrics to say if it is in fact lawn or not.

Regardless of my prattle, I'm sure you want to see some pictures, right? Yes, you do!!!! So, here is the ca. 1910 Lawn Dress snatched for $60 at an antique store.

Disclaimer: Yes, that is me wearing the dress, 3 years ago, the day it was bought. At the time, I had never read anything about human oils deteriorating antique fabric. I was very careful and only wore it for about 15 minutes.

These are the only two photos of the entire dress
stupid look on my face.. I know
torqued off Amber? Maybe.
The dress has a lot of rips and tears. It used to have a lot of stains, but my mom read up and found a way to clean antique fabrics without damaging them. It worked like a charm.
The details are much better seen in Black and White
CrAzY picture of my face

the back of the dress is pretty too!

and this is a cool pic of the sky I happened to take that day

So, yeeeah. There's a new post !!!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Dreamstress said...

Soooooo pretty! I can't believe you only payed $60 for it! I think the fabric is lawn - thus lawn dress.

And the jury is still out on the effects of human skin oil on fabrics - plenty of respected costume museums still let their staff handle old fabrics.